In 1775, Sir Lionel Lyde, a local landowner, tore down much of the 12th century church at Ayot St. Lawrence, leaving what remained as a ‘feature’ while he built a Palladian style church in a nearby field. The new church is pictured above and below are two shots of the remains of the old.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Lower Gravenhurst Like the church at Caldecote (see a previous post), the 14th century church at Lower Gravenhurst is classified as redundant and is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. It’s quiet and the interior is beautiful in its simplicity. The woodwork is simple, ancient and worn. The tiles are plain and well-trodden. ThereContinue reading “Churches #3”
With a slightly sinister Halloween theme